Hoysala architecture is a distinctive style of temple architecture that flourished in the region of Karnataka, India. During the 11thand 14th centuries, the rulers of Hoysala dynasty gave importance to art and architecture, especially for the temples. These temples are adorned with intricate and ornate designs, and exquisite carvings depicting various deities that narrate mythological tales preserving the heritage.
4 Significant Temples Of Hoysala Art In Arakalagudu
Shanteshwara And Lakshmikantha Temple
The two famous temples of Basavapatna in Ramanathapura hobli of Hassan district are Shanteshwara and Lakshmikantha temples. These Saiva-Vaishnava temples were built during the reign of Narasimha III of the Hoysalas.There are a total of 13 inscriptions in this village. One of them is the copper inscription. Two hero stones. According to the inscription on the Neminatha Jinabimba near a house in this village, this Jina idol was installed by Shrutakeerthi Devaragudda, the sons of Konganada Srikirana Kavannas, Nakanna and Honnanna. So it appears that there was a basadi in Basavapatna.
A stone planted to the north of the door of the Shanteshwara temple in the fort. This inscription is dated 1261 A.D. and mentions Hoysala Veeranarasimha. According to this inscription, some mahajanas have given land as kodagi to the amritapadi of Lord Satheswara of Lord Anjaneya. The inscription also contains the names of the Mahajans who donated. Chikkaankanna, son of Harayanayaka, son of Ankanayaka of Belagalli, gives him land near Hirikere next to the village. Kenchasetti’s son gives him land near Badagana village in Anka village. Baichanna, the son of Beichana, gives the land of Mudana Lane in Kavilanahalli to the amritapadi of Lord Sateshwara.
This inscription mentions Sathedeva of Naluvina and his descendants. Sathedeva of Neluge belonged to Nelogi village on the banks of Bhima river in Jeevargi taluk of Kalaburagi district and was popularly known as Kolu Shantaiah. Sathideva’s father Nelogi Kolu Shantaiah of Basavapatna mentioned in this inscription was a disciple of Shantaiah. In this inscription, the name of the temple is Sateshwara and not Shanteshwara. The donors also donated stone pans for the oil of the temple as they needed a lot of oil for the use of the deity’s Nanda Deepa.
Next to the above temple is a stone gana which according to the inscription on the gana says, ‘Gana yikki by Kongabhakta to Lord Sri Hanumantha to Nandadivi’. This inscription dates back to the 11th-12th century and is no longer found near the Gana temple of this stone. Enthusiastic villagers request them to trace it. The inscription in front of the Shadbhavaratheswara temple here dates back to A.D. It is a 10th century inscription which mentions the land given as kodagi to Ponnaiah and Makayya. Those who were constructing tanks were given land as a lump sum for sowing at the level of the tank. Similarly, sowing was the tax to be paid for cultivating the land, i.e., sowing in the field. The hero stone next to the Pranathaartihareshwara temple.
According to the inscription in this hero stone, Lalamacheyanayaka, the son of Mayan of Bettahalli, died in horse fighting. Lale Machenayaka’s younger brother installs this hero stone in front of the Anjaneya Hanumantha temple here. This horse fight was between two half-brothers of the Hoysala empire. Hoysala Veerasomeshwara had two wives. BizNarasimha III was the son of Jaladevi and Veeraramanatha to Devaladevi. There are many battles between these two for the claim of the empire. Finally, Veerasomeshwara distributes his kingdom to his two sons. This weakens the Hoysala empire. And this is also one of the reasons for the fall of this glorious empire. In the same battle, Lalamacheyanayaka, mentioned in this hero stone, dies.
There is another inscription on the hero stone described above. This inscription is also dated to 1286 A.D. The above inscription mentions the death of Rameyanayaka, the son of Mayan of Bettahalli, while fighting in battle. This battle was fought by Narasimha III to capture the Nidagallu Fort. Similarly, from these two inscriptions we know that the two sons of Maya of Bettahalli were in the Hoysala army and both of them lost their lives in battles. A stone lying next to the house. There is a mention of the construction of a lake in this inscription. There are no further details. To the south of the village, the stone laid in the Kaveri bathing ghat: This inscription belongs to the period 1579 A.D. According to this inscription, Sriman Mahamandaleshwara Ramarajayyadeva Maharasu married the daughter of Kumara Veeraraja of Srikantarajadeva Maharaja of Nanjaraya town. On that occasion he gives Basavapatna and Konanur villages as a palanquin umbali.
This inscription does not contain the details of those who received the hump. ‘Be a feast for you.’ I don’t know who it is. Usually, the palanquin was given to the palanquin bearers. They were also known as the Menebovis, but there are two important towns which are given as a bosom. Perhaps these towns were given to the bride or to the bride’s side. Doubt. A copper inscription in the possession of Nagappa of Basavapatna. This is the case. It is an act of 1635 A.D. According to this inscription, The Maharaja of Mysore, Chamaraja Wodeyar, gave the village of Makumbali as a gift to Ramachandra, son of Yajnanarayana. On that occasion, Makumballi village is renamed as Chamasamudra.
For more photos;(17) Facebook
Located at a distance of 10 km from Arakalagud in Hassan district, Ramanathapura has many temples. Lakshmeshwara is one of the famous Hoysala temples. The lakshmeshwara temple, which has all the traditional features of the temple, has the inner sanctum sanctorum, navaranga and antarala in good condition. It is a Hoysala temple built in the 13th century. There is a simple pillar structure. There are many attractive sculptures on the outer wall. Among them is a scene of Maruthi offering fruits to the cow, Venugopala, Rama, Lakshmana and Sita. There are sculptures of humans, frogs, serpents and muntas riding on fish. Though there are usually idols of deities, some of these sculptures have been carved in this temple. There are also sculptures of Kiratarjuniya and Tigerpada.
For more photos;(17) Facebook
The Rameswaram temple has also undergone renovation, its Hoysala style is yet to fade. The temple was built around 1250-75 AD and there are inscriptions to record the donations made during the rule of Hoysala Someshwara and Narasimha. The same system continued into the vijayanagara kings. The peak of rameshwara temple is still in its original form. The Hoysala emblem at Sukanasi is still there. There is a beautiful Nataraja idol in Kirtimukha. Nandis, along with 36 Shivalingas, are installed in the mantapa prakara of the Vijayanagara period, which was later created. This prakara can be circumambulated 3 times and 108 Shivalingas can be seen.
Although the masonry designs have lost their lustre, their beautiful structure is attractive. It is believed that Lord Rama worshipped the Shivalinga here to retire from ravana hatya dosha and later it became Rameshwaram. In the pictures, it can be seen that the pillars seen in the navaranga of the temple have been painted and defaced. There are pillars built by Hoysalas, similar to those of the Vijayanagara period. That is to say, the temple was constructed at the time of its expansion without disturbing its original form. A Ganapati idol here has two navels. It is derived from his name Dvaimatura. People sit on the steps on the banks of river Cauvery and feed chanapuri. In a way, it seems to have provided protection to the huge fish here.
For more photos;(17) Facebook