Granite Flooring – Natural, Elegant and Luxurious Floors
Natural Stone is the oldest and most enduring material when it collates with other building materials. From various natural stones, marble and granite flooring has played a significant role in preserving our history. They paved the vast entrance halls since the times of Roman temples, offering a sense of permanence.
Granite is an igneous rock formed from volcanic activity. It consists mainly of quartz, mica, and felspar. Granite is the hardest material with dense grain, high compressive strength, good abrasion resistance and low absorption. Being versatile, it is loved by many homeowners as it gives the aura of richness.is Granite flooring is extremely durable, offers a rich, elegant and luxurious feel.
Granite is also used for decorative wall panels, kitchen countertops, tabletops, fireplaces, etc.
Advantages of Granite Flooring:
- Extremely durable: long-lasting
- Nonporous: water and moisture resistant
- Seamless flooring: as they are available as slabs, they can be laid with paper-thin joints to create seamless floor
- Hypo allergic option: resistant to bacteria
- Biodegradable and green option
- Offers elegant, rich and luxurious feel
- Available in a variety of colors
- Stain and scratch-resistant
Disadvantages of Granite Flooring:
- Heavy and difficult to install
- To be installed by experts
- Requires regular maintenance
- Very cold under feet
Types of Surface Finish:
- Polished: High gloss mirror-like surface-used in wall cladding, countertops, tabletops, fireplace facing, and hearth.
- Honed: Low gloss used in high traffic areas, low maintenance areas.
- Rubbed : Smooth matte surface, slightly rougher than honed finish.
- Flamed: Textured surface -Mostly used for external use where slip resistance is concerned.
- Sandblasted: Rough but tidy look, used in traffic areas.
- Leather Finish: Suede look and feel.
- Hammered : Textured surface with enhanced slip resistance.
- Acid etched : Smooth matte surface created by applying acidic chemicals.
- Brushed : A flat and scratched surface obtained by rubbing with wire brush.
- Available as slabs
- Slabs: average size: 8’x5’ Thickness: 20-30mm
A, B, C, D
- Grade A: High quality, uniform. It is with least consistencies and strongest structure.
- Grade B: Minor defects such as chips, scratches.
Other Factors to Consider
- Absorption Rating: refers to how porous a material is
- Nonvitreous: highest absorption
- Semi-vitreous: less absorbent
- Vitreous: standard absorption level
- Impervious: resistant to absorption
- Coefficient of Friction: measures how slippery the material is
- PEI rating (Porcelain Enamel Institute): ability to resist wear and tear
How to Install Granite Floor Tiles
1. Prepare the surface
Prepare the subfloor for a clean and dry, flat and even surface.
2.Preview tiles in place and apply mortar
You can either start the tile from the center or from to corner of any door as per layout design. Once the layout is decided, mix the adhesive/mortar/thin-set (as per manufactures directions) specially made for granite flooring. Apply a thin layer of 6-8mm mortar using a trowel and spread it evenly covering small areas at a time or as per manufactures instructions.
3. Lay the tiles in place and set permanently.
Place the granite tile on top of mortar a press firmly. Place the tile spacers (1/8th inch or 1/16th inch as per manufactures indications. Cut the tiles to place over the edges and check the level of tiles.
4. Remove any excess adhesive/moisture between tiles
5.Set the tiles for at least 24hrs before laying grout.
6. Mix and spread grout over tile as per manufactures directions.
7. Clean the entire surface with sponge to remove excess grout from top of tiles.
8. Allow the grout to dry for 24hrs.
9. Seal the granite. Paint the tiles with an impregnating sealer using a foam paintbrush and wipe out excess sealer.
The transportation of stones from quarry to fabricators, distributors, and project sites consumes a significant amount of fossil fuels. Therefore, to reduce green house emissions, stones are locally sourced.