Home renovation is an exciting project allowing you to create a better space that reflects your personality and lifestyle. However, before you dive in, it is essential to first plan the project.
Planning the scope of your home renovation should be done carefully, considering the budget, timeline, and desired outcome. In this article, we will discuss essential steps to ensure your home renovation runs smoothly and as per your expectations.
How to Start Planning for a Home Renovation
1. Set a Clear Goal for the Renovation Project
Understanding the goal of your home renovation needs is essential to have a successful project, so here are some key points to consider:
- Identify the purpose of renovation: Are you looking to add value to your home before selling it, or are you planning to stay in your home long-term and want to improve its functionality and comfort? Identifying the purpose will help you determine what changes to make, how much to spend, and how long the project will take.
- Determine the scope of the project: What specific areas of your home do you want to renovate, and what changes do you want to make? Will it involve a simple cosmetic update or a more extensive remodel with structural changes?
- Develop a timeline for the renovation: Determine how long each project phase will take, including any necessary permits, demolition, and construction.
2. Prioritize Your Renovation Needs and Wants
Once you have laid out a detailed plan and the goals of your home renovation project, it’s time to start prioritizing what you want and will need from this renovation. Here’s what you can do:
- Identify the must-have renovation features: If you’re renovating a kitchen, essential features might include updated appliances, more counter space, and improved storage. Once you’ve identified these must-have features, you can focus on other wants and desires.
- Consider your lifestyle and future needs: A family room or playroom might be a high priority if you have young children. Or, if you plan to stay in your home for many years, you might want to consider features that will make your homes more accessible as you age, such as a ground-level bedroom and bathroom.
- Prepare for making compromises: You may be unable to afford everything on your wish list, and some renovations may take longer than anticipated. Be prepared to make compromises by prioritizing the essential features.
3. Establish a Realistic Budget
The next step when planning the renovation scope is setting a realistic budget that covers all aspects. When you plan a budget, you eliminate the risk of going overboard on unnecessary things and even avoid leaving out all the essential renovation needs.
Here are some tips that can help determine a budget that helps you further in a successful home renovation project:
- Evaluate your finances: Take a close look at your income, expenses, and savings to get a clear picture of your financial situation. You should also consider the impact the renovation project will have on your finances in the short and long term.
- Research the labor and material costs: Get quotes from multiple contractors and suppliers to ensure you get a fair price. You should also factor in the cost of permits and any unexpected expenses that may arise during the project.
- Consider financing options: If your budget doesn’t cover the total cost of your renovation project, consider financing options such as a home renovation loan. These loans can give you the funds you need to complete your project while spreading the payments over time. Be sure to shop around for the best loan terms and interest rates.
4. Hire the Right Professionals
Since a home renovation is a dream upgrade for you, it’s important to always look for professionals you can trust to give the responsibility of converting that fantasy into a reality.
- Research and review the potential contractors: Do your research to find potential contractors with experience in the type of renovation project you have in mind. Ask for referrals from friends or family, read reviews online, and check the contractor’s website for past projects.
- Check past projects and references: Ask potential contractors for references from past clients and photos of completed projects similar to your renovation project. You can even ask your friends or family to give you references for a contractor they trust.
- Sign a detailed contract: The contract should include all project details, such as the scope of work, timeline, payment schedule, and warranty information. Ensure that the contract is specific and clear and that you understand all the terms before signing.
5. Prepare Your Home for the Renovation Process
Once you have selected the right professional for the job, it’s time to begin the preparation for the process. You need to arrange things before the renovation so that the process runs smoothly with minimal disruptions. Here’s what you need to take care of:
- Make necessary repairs: Repair any leaks, cracks, or other issues that may interfere with the renovation project. Completing these repairs before the renovation starts is easier and more efficient.
- Protect your belongings: Your home will be filled with dust and debris, and your belongings may be at risk of damage. Protecting everything by covering furniture and floors and storing valuable items safely is important.
- Plan for temporary home arrangements: This is especially necessary if the renovation project involves major structural work or affects essential living spaces such as kitchens or bathrooms.
Ensure You Have the Necessary Permits
Lastly, you must have all the necessary permits involving electricity, water supply, plumbing, building, and more before you move to the final stages of the renovation. Take the last walk-through with the contractor once everything is ready to identify concerns and ensure everything is completed to your satisfaction.
By Tanvi Koushik
Tanvi Kaushik specializes in Content Marketing and works with the Digital Team at KreditBee – India’s fastest personal loan platform where self-employed and salaried professionals can easily avail of personal loans in just a few minutes when in need of quick funds. Tanvi writes to-the-point articles on personal finance and budgeting which are truly appreciated by her readers. She is committed to making money matters easy to understand even for the layman. Her commitment to her work doesn’t stop her from pursuing her hobbies of hiking, trekking, and going on adventurous trips.