40 Bedroom Design Tips And Tricks To Maximize Usability
Bedrooms are the most private spaces in a house, and it is the designer’s responsibility to create a well-defined ambiance and functionality that a user needs. Below are a few bedroom design tips you can refer to while designing or decorating your room.
Spatial Efficiency in Bedroom Design
- Position the bed at the center of the wall to create ample walking space around the bed.
- If ample space is available, it can be a master suite with dedicated bathroom, closet, dressing room, and seating area.
- The physical layout and size of the bedroom has to be considered with the number of people using, their ages and their respective functions of the space (ex, study area, work-out, mini garden in a balcony, etc.) can be covered other than just sleeping.
- If you are creating a work space in a bedroom, then demarcate a separate space by introducing a partition. The partition can be a curtain, plants or furniture separating the sleeping area and study space.
- Wardrobes with floor to ceiling height so that no space is less efficient. Integrate the dresser with wardrobe so save floor space that is required extra for dresser.
- Floating shelves on the walls, beds with storage boxes below create clutter free space on the floors.
- Adding a bunk bed in children’s room effectively utilizes vertical space creating free floor space.
- As per Vaastu, Bedrooms should be located in south-west direction and the place the bed in such a way that their heads are facing South when they lay down on the bed.
Doors and Windows
- Plan with large size windows to receive ample light and natural ventilation.
- Providing bay windows/corner windows not only provide better views, but also create a seating area and storage below acts as a multifunctional area ,if the room is larger.
- If the space is not sufficient for windows, then adding slit windows throughout the length of the wall at the top grants with natural ventilation.
Materials and Furniture in Bedroom Design
- Consider furniture that is of low height, sleek and simple with straight lines for smaller bedrooms for a spacious look.
- Place mirrors to reflect light. Mirrors placed on opposite side of windows reflect light in the room and create an illusion of a larger space.
- For spaces that are too small, consider multi functional furniture that can serve two or more functions.
- Choose right mattress with comfortable pillow and bedsheet with soft textures and natural tones that adds softness and comfort for a proper sleep.
- Adding Area rugs on the floor when a user first gets out of the bed ,feels the softness of the rug.
- opt for light colored flooring with soothing textures; choose stone/vitrified tiles that adds luxury with ease of maintenance.
- Install a wall-mounted TV if the floor space is less; multipurpose cabinet with TV if ample floor space is present.
- Use of wood flooring adds warmth adds warmth to the feet and space.
- A combination of natural and artificial lighting works to create a well illuminated bedroom.
- Bright in the morning with ample natural light and creating calm, intimate, and atmospheric with a combination of lighting schemes in the evening and night.
- Include combination of lighting schemes such as Ambient lighting, Accent/Feature lighting and Task lighting. For ex. blend of ceiling lights, decorative lights, and cove lighting.
- Accent lighting to highlight any décor objects such as paintings or family photos that are part of memories.
Colors in Bedroom Design
- Painting walls with white and light colors create brighter and airy spaces.
- Pastel colors such as millennial pink, light azure, creamy mint, and light grey are best suited for a bedroom. It also creates an intimate setting.
- Lighter colors that have white mixed are soothing to eyes that give calming effect to the body and mind, compared to the darker colors which give strain to the eyes.
- Include indoor plants which improve indoor air quality and purify the space. Embrace with flowers that brings fragrance to the space to keep it lively.
- Use fabric that have textures and patterns according to your interest.
- Choose both sheer and room darkening curtains – sheer curtains can be used in the afternoon that allow natural light to let in where as room darkening curtains can be used for good sleep.
- Paint a wall in chalkboard or add a wall board in children’s room so that they can draw, write and play enhancing their skills.
- Covering any empty wall with unique pictures/paintings/photographs not only adds personality and charm but also creates long lasting memories.
- A wall dedicated to massive wallpaper also draws our contemplation towards it otherwise the attention might be towards the room size or the objects and clutter.
- Choose any stand-alone piece/any personalized artifact that brings happiness and a positive vibe and place it in front to see when you wake up in the morning.
- Go ahead with old woodwork and reuse them in your cabinets or art pieces to restore them.
- Ancient terracotta tiles are not only eco-friendly but also regulate the temperature.
- Use Natural finishes and colors.
- Use low VOC paints to reduce the emissions of harmful chemicals that enter into the atmosphere.
- De-clutter the room every 3-6 months and reuse/recycle/donate the old materials to create clutter-free space.
- Reuse and renovate the older furniture if you are moving to a new house, rather than buying completely newer furniture.
Leave a Reply