Every small space can be transformed into a livable/functional space. This project gives you a fine example of how a small of 200 sq ft space can be turned into well-designed zones that are both functional and modern. If you feel that you are stuck and need some inspiration, then let us take you into this small project where the architects and designers of Chaukhat Design Studio have transformed into a competent functional space with a modest plot.
By Chaukhat Design Studio Architects
Located on the outskirts of Vadodara city, the client approached us to design an office space in a tight plot with dimensions 10 feet x 20 feet. In the close-knit old Chennai area of the city, with plenty of small business shops in and around the neighborhood, we were challenged to create something modern that stands out despite the modest plot size of 200 sq ft of space.
The Client and Brief
The client is a Project Management Consultant, so along with his office on the ground floor, which generally works on erratic hours, he wanted us to include a studio apartment on the first floor with optimum amenities and later embraced the idea of utilizing the terrace plate for recreational use.
The Challenge to design in a 200 sq ft space
The brief, along with the compact size, challenged us to design and accommodate a plethora of functions in different floor plates, connecting them so as to not overlap the professional and private spaces. The approach for the office is given directly through the road, which also hosts a spiral staircase to the studio apartment above. Both entries co-inside perpendicularly, with a smart separation for the client to balance between his work and personal life.
The façade is designed to create a language that breaks through the monotony of small sections. It has a frame combining the built mass with weather sheds. Terracotta jaali blocks give a distinctive feature to the façade while doing its job of maintaining privacy and providing lovely light play to the living space on the first floor. It adds a little drama amidst the neighborhood to catch the eye of a passerby. The façade is finished with white and concrete texture which is very well highlighted with metal fabricated elements. A staircase is strategically placed in the front to create a vertical illusion for the limited building mass. The pergola and railing break the verticality of the building while giving a feel-good factor to the recreational space on the second floor.
The Fact File
- Designed by: Chaukhat Design Studio
- Instagram tag- @chaukhat_designstudio
- Facebook page- chaukhat_designstudio
- Project Type: Architecture (Mixed Use)
- Project Name: Hasty (PMC office + Studio Apartment)
- Location: Chhani , Vadodara, Gujarat
- Year built: 2023
- Size: sq feet: 450 sq. ft (Total Built up)
- Project Cost appx: 14 Lakhs
- Principal Architect: Ruturaj A. Puranik
- Instagram tag – @ruturaj_at_chaukhat
- Team: Id. Richa Ramani (@richu_ramanni)
- Ar. Krusha Patel (@_krushapatel_)
- Photography and Videography courtesy: 2613 Apertures
- Instagram tag – @2613_apertures
- Firm’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/chaukhat_designstudio
- Firm’s Instagram Link : https://www.instagram.com/chaukhat_designstudio